Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Pirates

So was it two days ago that was the International pirate talking day?. Yeah that's pretty much the dumbest thing ever. Matt Good's album came out yesterday and I'll have to wait for my signed copy to come. The first disc of the album was leaked about a week before the album came out and many people got to listen to it. This is of course a common occurence. In all the vast amounts of internet communities I have been a part of, there hasn't been one that wasn't involved in some sort of piracy.

I don't really know why I'm writing this. I can't say i've had a perfect slate in that area but I do try and support artists. Sometimes I just think about how bad it's gotten and how worse it will get. With broadband internet spreading to the masses newly released movies (and some that haven't come out yet) are just hours away from personal home viewing. It's even worse with music. The dumb thing is when people complain about the quality of a music album yet they're stealing it. Perhaps if these artists actually got some money they could put it into better equipment and such.

The government really doesn't have a clue how to deal with this problem. With internet Privacy acts and other simliar laws they can't really stop the large population from stealing music. Programs like Napster, Yahoo! Unlimited and even itunes (blah) have made it reasonable for consumers to get their music and for artists to get paid. I'm sure some sort of progress is being made but billions are being lost every week. Billions.

Any software, music, movie, video game that you ever wanted is out there right now for free. Some require you to make an effort to look for them, others are considerably easier. If I had it my way I'd get rid of:

MIRC
DC++
Soulseek
Kazaa
Winmx
Limewire
Oink
All torrent sites
and so much others...

Users for the most part don't feel much guilt for what they steal. It's mostly due to the fact that the punishments are not severe enough, nor real enough for them to actually stop. I'm not here to judge you for stealing things (like I said my hands aren't the cleanest either). The whole internet should just be eliminated. It's hurt our society so much more than it helps. I know it brings the world together but man does it ever separate us from the real world too. It's one hell of a paradox. Anyways it's 3am and I just wrote this because I had nothing better to write about. School's a bitch right now.

Later

posted by psychobabbler @ 3:36 AM