Monday, August 29, 2005

Back 2 School

Blah! I hate school so much. Tommorow I'll be starting my second year in Grad school. I always get super nervous before going. I wish my summer vacation lasted a month or two longer, although by then I'd say the same thing. I don't know how active I'll be with this blog when I start school, but nothing will change. I only have two classes so it's not really a big deal. I need to figure out what I want to write my master's thesis on this year, and I need to find a sponsor too. It's going to be a rough semester. Hopefully some classmates I'm looking forward to seeing will make it smoother than I think.


Two Courses:

Physiological Psychology

Emphasizes the basics of neuroscience and behavior. Topics covered include a general introduction, structure and function of the nervous system, neural communication, physiology and neuropharmacology, neuroendocrine systems, research methods, sensory and motor systems, hunger, thirst, reproductive behavior, emotions, learning and memory, cognition, and mental disorders.

Special Topics: Communication in Humans and Other Animals

Are we alone as a symbol using species? Do others use signals to refer to things in their environment? Can other animals learn to communicate using symbols? Does language set humans apart from the rest of the animal world? What is the relationship between language, communication and thought? Is there a continuity of communication and mental experience across species? How do we know? How can we know? This course will compare human and animal communication processes. We will examine studies involving communication between scientists and apes, dolphins, and birds, and will focus on the biological and philosophical implications of this controversial area of research.



It's basically 4 hours of classes per week and the rest of the time left to study and party or whatever. I really should get a job this year. Fortunately I have enough saved up to pay for this year and most likely next year as well. By then I'll have my degree and be looking for a job. A 23 year old with a master's degree, that aint so bad eh? I'm the youngest student in my program.

posted by psychobabbler @ 7:30 PM