Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Last night, I started reading George Orwell's classic 1984 again. This summer, i'll finally try to write a screenplay based on it. This was the first book I read that inspired me to make movies. I envisioned every scene, and the camera angles, etc... Although I haven't really followed this far fetched dream of mine, I believe I have a lot to contribute. I started writing the details of the script last night, and I wrote about 5 pages based on the first page alone!. It's going to be really difficult to accomplish, which is probably why i've been putting it off for so many years.

There's already a 1984 movie, that was actually released in 1984. When I first heard about it, I was really dissapointed, since it was my dream to make it. I recieved the dvd for christmas about two years ago, and it refueled my motivation to make it. That movie made a good portrayal of the main characters, and had a haunting environment, but it just didn't feel like the book. It didn't have the depth that I'd add to it. With technological advances that were lacking in 1984, a newer version would make it that much better.

I have a lot of screenplays in my head and some started on paper that need to be completed. Not really for the world, but more for me. I love movies a bit more than the average person (take a look at the amount I've watched so far in 2005 on the side-panel). Most of the movies I love, aren't your typical movies. I like the style and stories of many foreign directors including Kurosawa, Ozu, Renoir, and Fellini. The more I watch, the more I study them, analyzing the little elements that make them masterpieces. For the most part, this has been lacking from Hollywood for years. I don't know if there's even an audience for these kinds of films anymore, but there ought to be.



posted by psychobabbler @ 4:49 PM