Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Knee deep in trouble

I haven't been updating this blog as much as I would like to. The other day I re-injured my knee and it's been draining me of any energy and motivation. About 5 or 6 years ago when I was in my last year of high school, I was playing basketball and someone ran straight into me, causing a large pop in my left knee. I couldn't walk for a few weeks, and it was so painful. The first doctor looked at my x-ray and said it was just a sprain, but when it didn't heal I decided to get an MRI. The results showed I had a severely torn ligament. The doctor said it's a fairly long recovery process and if you can manage to live without the surgery right now, then try. I had graduation coming up soon and I didn't want to postpone college or anything. I decided to put it off, and I started walking slightly better. I reinjured the knee twice in my four years of college, just by walking on it the wrong way, and another time when I stumbled on a few stairs.

I hadn't thought about the knee for a while and so I wasn't trying to be careful with any activities that I'd do. A few days the worst happened again as it severely locked up on me when I was walking. I couldn't bend the leg at all, and had to lie in bed all day. It was extremely stressful as I'm in graduate school and I still can't postpone my education. I panicked thinking my summer was doomed. I wasn't going to let that happened, so I started trying to straighten the leg, even with the excruciating pain it put me through. After doing this throughout that day, I heard another weird sound. It felt like something inside the knee went back in place. I slowly tried to straighten it out and to my surprise it felt fine. It was as if it didn't even happen.

The leg still feels a little unstable at times, and isn't perfectly well, but at least I don't have to limp or anything. I really wonder if there ever will be a time when I can actually postpone my life and get this surgery done. After grad school, I'll most likely have to get a job, and so that really limits my options. I don't know why, but the injury really has taken away some of my energy and I've just felt a little apathetic about everything lately. I'll try to get back to blogging on a daily basis.

posted by psychobabbler @ 11:44 AM