Thursday, June 23, 2005

The flowers are wilting, she forgot to water them again. She'll be home any minute now and I know just what she'll do. She'll greet me at the door, put down her things, and run herself a bath. It became her tradition as of late, and it wasn't growing on me. I asked if she'd like some dinner, and she'd make one of her trusted excuses. "Oh I had a huge lunch, and I can't think of eating anything else tonight!" I barely recognize her anymore, she's gotten so thin and her face feels so cold.

After her bath, she'd get in her nightgown and just lie in bed till she fell asleep. I often asked what was wrong with her, and she'd just give me half a smile and say everything's just fine dear. It wasn't fine though, and it was driving me crazy. I felt trapped inside with a stranger. Some that know me, might say I deserved this. I've done her wrong in the past, but she'd forgiven me, she just hadn't forgotten. There hasn't been an incident like that for over 9 months, yet the effects of it are lingering every day in this house. We're separated by these invisible walls, and I see no way of breaking them down.

A letter was affixed to the mirror when I woke up. I skimmed through it quickly, and fell to my knees crying. She left me, and this time there was no way of bringing her back. I knew it, I started swearing under my breath,. "Goddammit I knew it!" She ended the letter by saying "Your flower has wilted". I didn't look after her like I should've. Everyone had a breaking point and hers was reached. I watched the petals fall one by one, until there were none left. I looked down in horror as the blood trickled from the bathroom floor onto our bedroom carpet...our...bedroom carpet.

posted by psychobabbler @ 3:25 AM