Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The High School Syndrome

Every so often, when in social situations, I say to myself "Man this is just like high school." High school is probably one of the most influential social institutions of our society. It comes at an age, where you are maturing and ready to form relationships with others. In my high school and many others, there seemed to be an unspoken hierarchy. You knew where you stood amongst your classmates. Cliques were formed, and determined your popularity status. Belonging to a minor group usually meant and increased likelihood of being teased, looked down on and so forth, etc... I personally ranked somewhere in the middle, at times feeling like I could be placed on one of the two polar paths.

These types of group patterns existed during elementary school, and college as well, but I feel they are their most salient and crucial during the years of high school. I look at high school as a critical period for a person's life that may determine how they behave in future social encounters. Much of the relationship patterns I've observed over the past few years both in my city and on the internet (especially here), social networks that mirror those of high school. Groups are divided in life, and although an adult won't outright tease you, they'll be say things that show they are of a higher social ranking.

The High School Syndrome as I call it here, is the tragedy of society. It isn't always exhibited, but it is felt by those of differing statuses. It isn't the type of thing that one can easily remedy either. We live in a competitive environment similar to the micro version found in high school. When a person belongs to a certain group, they feel this need to validate this group, and thus lash out at an out-group. I wish I could be optimistic about resolving these social boundaries, but I feel this will continue as part of the flaws of being human.

posted by psychobabbler @ 8:25 PM